In this post, I’m going to open up and share the story of how I lost $1,000,000 playing poker.
The inspiration for this post comes from a question my reader Joshua sent me, who asks, ‘have you ever been depressed abotu losing in poker and going on a downswing? Did you ever wonder if it was just a pipe dream, or that poker was the route you wanted to take in life?’
And I realized that I didn’t put out enough content on the journey, the struggle and the hard times.
Because the truth is, it’s not all fun and roses.
In this video, I share several key points on my poker journey where I hit brick walls, the lessons I learned and how I recovered from it. Here are some of the stories I share:
- The story of how I donked off my $20,000 bankroll back in 2005, when I was just starting out and still in school.
- Losing my entire bankroll right after breaking up with my high school girlfriend (which I was a wreck about), dropping out of college, and having no friends at University.
- How I won the FTOPS for $250,000, the largest tournament in online poker history, and went on to win over $1,000,000 in 2007 (at 19 years old), then punted it all back the next year.
- Going from playing $300/$600 NL with a buy in of $60,000 to $5/$10 NL (on a stake) with a buy in of $1,000.
- Playing the High Roller Tournament scene in 2015 and losing $100,000 per event.
- Dealing with ego, downswings, the mental game, and much more…
Most importantly, I share my mental process and how I navigated the above, as well as some practical tips you can implement to know whether or not something is right for you.